Spices and Project Springtime
Results depend on the plant.
- Basil grows very nicely, but the roots can soon clog the pipes. Because the seeds are so small, germination hasn’t always been successful.
- The cilantro and the parsley grow, but not much. It may not be worth it.
Varieties grown successfully
- Genevese basil, from Seeds of Change
- Sweet basil, from Burpee
- Dill, from Seeds of Change
Varieties grown unsuccessfully
- Cilantro, Santo, Coriandrum sativum, from Johnny’s Selected Seeds
- Cilantro, from Ferry Morse
- Parsley, Giant of Italy OG, Petroselinum crispum, from Johnny’s Selected Seeds
- Sage, broad leaf, from Ferry Morse
Varieties not yet grown
- Mountain mint, Pyenanthemum pilosum, from Johnny’s Selected Seeds
- Creeping thyme, Thymus serpyllum, from Johnny’s Selected Seeds
- Common mint, Mentha spp, from Johnny’s Selected Seeds