Other types of plants and Project Springtime
Too early to tell.
Varieties grown successfully
- Diploid watermelons, Sugar baby, Citrullus lanatus var. lanatus, from Johnny’s Selected Seeds
- Celery, Tango OG, Apium graveolens, from Johnny’s Selected Seeds
- Round red beets, Babybeat, Beta vulgaris, from Johnny’s Selected Seeds. Take care to harvest in time so the beet doesn’t get too large for the growing pot.
Varieties grown unsuccessfully
- Radish, Champion. from Ferry Morse. While the plant grows just fine, the radish gets a wrinkly, relatively hard skin. Also, it’s very inefficient use of space on this system as you cannot seed densely.
- Hybrid strawberry, Elan F1, Fragaria x ananassa, from Johnny’s Selected Seeds. Never managed to germinate them. Maybe the seeds drown in the growing cubes.
Varieties currently growing, too early to tell
Varieties not yet grown
- Rhubarb, Victoria, Rheum rhabarbarum, from Johnny’s Selected Seeds
- Onion, Cabernet, Allium cepa (hybrid), from Botanical Interests
- Hybrid mini eggplant, Hansel F1, Solanum melongena, from Johnny’s Selected Seeds